Seeking the Fair Worth of Your Personal Injury Claim
Posted By The McClellan Law Firm || Jul 9, 2014
If you were injured because someone else was negligent, because a medical professional provided substandard care, because a company produced a defective product or even because another person intentionally caused you harm, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit to seek financial compensation that would allow you to begin rebuilding your life. This compensation may cover such economic and non-economic damages as medical care, ongoing treatment, lost earnings, future loss of earnings, property damage and emotional trauma.
What can you do to seek the fair worth of your personal injury lawsuit? This is best accomplished with experienced legal counsel, as the process of filing a lawsuit, negotiating a settlement and litigating in court can be highly complex. You may also be up against a large insurance provider or other corporation that has considerable resources to counter your claim.
A personal injury lawyer who is experienced and has the resources to conduct an independent investigation into the source of your injury and the true extent of damage it has caused can pursue fair compensation on your behalf – whether through a settlement or jury award. The following can help you seek the fair and full value of your claim:
- Carefully reviewing any settlement offer made by the other party or their insurance provider before signing anything or accepting any money;
Analyzing both the current and future impact that your injuries may have
on you emotionally, physically and financially, such as:
- Medical bills;
- The need for ongoing treatment, in-home care or assistive devices;
- Physical therapy;
- Loss of earnings due to missed work;
- Loss of earning potential, whether because you can no longer return to work in the same field or cannot work at all;
- Loss of enjoyment of life; and
- Psychological trauma;
- Considering whether punitive damages may apply in your case (these are awarded to penalize the at-fault party and to set an example);
- Taking into consideration all potential sources of compensation, including third parties;
- Involving medical professionals, economists, psychologists and other expert witnesses who can help determine the value of a claim and present expert testimony in court;
- Carefully presenting your case and the value of your claim in court to seek a favorable verdict;
- Creating such a strong case that the other party wishes to offer a fair out-of-court settlement (which can be faster than a drawn-out courtroom battle); and
- Pursuing fair compensation in spite of efforts made by the at-fault party to counter recovery.
Car accidents, instances of medical malpractice, dog attacks, workplace injuries and defective products can have dramatic and lasting impacts on victims' lives. Though there is no way to truly "compensate" a victim for the pain he or she has experienced, this is the only way we have of holding responsible parties accountable for their wrongdoing. Seeking justice can help victims experience some peace of mind, and recovering fair financial compensation can help victims rebuild to as similar a place as they were before their injuries.
Take this opportunity to find out what your case may be worth by involving a San Diego personal injury attorney at The McClellan Law Firm. We are skilled negotiators and aggressive litigators, ready to take whichever approach best suits our clients' interests and concerns. The pursuit of maximum financial compensation is our goal, and we create tailor-made plans to address the unique circumstances surrounding each client's case. For a free, confidential consultation and case review, please call our offices. Should we work on your case, you pay nothing unless we win.